The constant cries by the theological Left to have the government redistribute wealth are more than just annoying. They hurt more people than they help and they mock authentic Christianity.
It is bad enough that they would ask “Caesar” to take – by threat of force or imprisonment – from neighbor A to “give” to neighbor B and consider it charity on the part of the theological Left. That is the opposite of common sense and what Jesus taught. But at least then neighbor A could voice his opposition and vote against it.
To make things worse, now they are funding their “giving” solely with additional debt. This means that the ones who will pay for this faux giving can’t vote or may not have even been born yet. These folks have found a way to steal from people who aren’t even alive!
They are trying to help a small amount of poor people – who by the world’s standards are actually quite blessed – even though it will continue to drive more people into poverty. It will ultimately destroy the goose that laid the golden egg.
Forced wealth redistribution does not alleviate poverty. If false teachers* really wanted to help the poor they’d do things like this instead:
- Establish and maintain the rule of law.
- Focus the jurisdiction of government primarily on maintaining the rule of law, and limit its jurisdiction over the economy and the institutions of civil society.
- Implement a formal property system with consistent and accessible means for securing a clear title to property one owns.
- Encourage economic freedom.
- Encourage stable families and other important private institutions which mediate between the individual and the state.
- Encourage belief in the truth that the universe is purposeful and makes sense.
- Encourage the right cultural mores.
- Instill a proper understanding of the nature of wealth creation and poverty.
- Focus on cultivating your comparative advantage rather than protecting what used to be your comparative advantage.
- Work hard.
I would add that Junior Achievement classes are proven to help keep kids in school longer. Also, they teach essential life skills in how to manage money.
And if you really want to help the poor, don’t just throw money at them. Have them do some work for it. Give them healthy, inexpensive food like milk, oatmeal, pasta, eggs, etc. instead of food stamps that can be abused.
Friendly reminders: 1. Conservatives give more money and even blood than Liberals. 2. Liberals fail at basic economics