Note: To keep this window open when reviewing these sites, right-click a link and select “Open in new window”
Radio / Podcasts – Podcasts are audio files you download to your iPod or other mp3 player. They download automatically each day. You can also listen to these shows online at your convenience.
- Stand to Reason – I highly recommend the daily podcasts and the weekly show. Greg Koukl has a great approach to Christian thinking and sharing the Gospel in a productive way.
- Grace to You – John MacArthur
- Eternal Perspectives Ministries – Randy Alcorn’s web site. This guy is the real deal. He writes great fiction and non-fiction and donates nearly everything he makes.
- The Christian Start Page
- Are you a good person?
- That’s my King! 3.5 min. video with powerful words and images about Jesus.
Apologetics (a defense of the Christian faith)
Stand to Reason – Easy to use resources to defend your views in an attractive way. I highly recommend their training materials.
- Apologetics Press
- Christian myths
- 10 Objectives to Christianity and How to Respond
- Articles by J. Budziszewski, Ph.D
- The Real History of the Crusades
- Answering Islam
- Interview with the Dalai Lama
- True Origins
- Answers In Genesis
- Five Questions a Darwinist Would Rather Dodge
- Texans for Better Science Education
- Institute for Creation Research
- OneMillionDads.com, OneMillionMoms.com, OneMillionYouth.com – Use these tools for effective “two-click complaining.” These groups have had a lot of success in cleaning up TV and other media. Theyend periodic emails to you, then you modify a pre-written email message and send it to advertisers (or just send it as-is). They are spam-free, also.
- American Center for Law and Justice
- American Family Association Action Alerts
- Gambling – Don’t Bet On It Review of a book on gambling, plus an excellent sketch on the problem of gambling in America
- Spiritual Journeys of Great Christians
- St. Nicholas – Discovering the Truth About Santa Claus
- C.S. Lewis Quotes
- Reseller ratings – helps determine which online resellers are reliable
- CareNet Pregnancy Center of NW Houston (where I volunteer as a counselor and Board member)
- Animal Therapy – No, our animals don’t get therapy (although they could use it!). We take the dogs to Heartland Nursing home. The residents love to see the dogs, and it makes a great ice-breaker for us and the girls to visit with them.
- Faith Comes By Hearing – You can get the audio Bible in many versions and types – CD, cassette or MP3. The prices are reasonable and it helps support getting audio Bibles to poor and illiterate people around the world.
- Prison Fellowship – Exhorting, equipping, & assisting the Church in its ministry to prisoners, ex-prisoners, & their families. Their in-prison programs dramatically reduce recidivism (criminals who return to jail).
- Angel Tree – Bringing the love of Christ to prisoners’ kids across America
Books – non-fiction
- The Bible Whatever you read this year, be sure to read this book. When its message is taken seriously, lives and cultures are transformed.
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
- Heaven by Randy Alcorn Everyone should read this book. It is very thorough and enlightening. They Bible says much more about Heaven than most people realize.
- How to Stay Christian in College – a must read for anyone going to college or sending their kids off to college.
- The 5 Love Languages – Everyone should read this book. Practical applications on the most important thing we do.
- Church History in Plain Language by Bruce Shelley – makes a potentially boring subject very interesting.
- The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey – Super book, written in a conversational and candid style
- How Now Shall We Live? by Chuck Colson
- The Case for Christ: A Journalist’s Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus by Lee Strobel – I also recommend the student edition.
- The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Objections to Christianity by Lee Strobel – I also recommend the student edition.
Books – fiction
- Deadline by Randy Alcorn – murder mystery that takes place mostly on earth, but has some incredible scenes in Heaven.
- Safely Home by Randy Alcorn
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti – Not purely Biblical, but an exciting story with a good reminder of the power of prayer.
- Lord Foulgrin’s Letters by Randy Alcorn – sort of a modern day “Screwtape Letters,” where a senior demon coaches a junior demon on how to win someone over
- A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers – the whole “Mark of the Lion” series (this was part I) is really interesting and easy to read.