The Prayer Mate app is a key part of my daily devotional routine, which currently looks like this:
- Read a page from The Valley of Vision, a book of Puritan prayers. These guys were intense and motivating.
- Go through my PrayerMate app. I have it set up with various categories, such as adoration, confession, gratitude, family, church, evangelism, current requests, etc., so I get a mix of prayer topics each day.
- Read a chapter of the Bible plus commentary notes. I love the chronological Bible reading plan or a plan that rotates between genres (i.e., the Pentateuch, history, Psalms, Proverbs, Gospel, letters, etc.). This gets me through the Bible every 1.5 – 2 years. When I finish, I start afresh the next day.
- Work through some memory verses on the Bible Memory app. Some days I do more than others. If I have downtime during the day I’ll go through verses then as well.
- Read another chapter of the Bible plus commentary notes.
I’m not good at “freestyle” praying. Having an app like this gives me the structure I need. It also reminds me to check in on people for whom I’ve been praying. You can easily add categories and individual prayer items. Best of all, it is free!