The stupidity of pro-abortion reasoning is only surpassed by its evil. I obviously encounter tremendous amounts of it via the media, Internet and entertainment so it takes a lot to surprise me. But this is my entry for the worst pro-abortion religious argument ever. From a pro-abortion extremist on the thread of a Bill Nye the Science Lie post:
Plus, the Bible not only doesn’t condemn abortion, certainly anywhere near as bad a sin as murder, it prescibes several situations when and how abortions should be performed. Often with little regard forthe life of the mother. And they are unambiguously about proteting the property rights of the dominate male.
(I r eally wish I could provide a citation. But while I do consider the Bible an important book I dont claim to live my life the words contained within it. If anybody else can provide a citation I would be greatful)
Translation: “I heard some pro-abortion sound bites that mentioned that the Bible is cool with it, so I repeat that all over the Interwebs even though I’m too lazy/stupid/evil to actually research it myself or to even paraphrase them.” Not surprisingly, his secular pro-abortion arguments were just as well informed.
As usual, I know the pro-abort arguments better than the pro-aborts. Here are a few examples I shared with the commenter, noting: “You have a choice now: You can go get educated on the topics you reference, or you can publicly abandon any semblance of intellectual integrity and keep repeating them.” I also noted that if he got the Bible this wrong on abortion, then maybe he was wrong on the rest of it as well.
Keep in mind that the “Christian” Left uses these same arguments, just like the atheists.
1. Pro-abortion advocates often refer to a passage in Exodus 21 to support their views.
When men strive together and hit a pregnant woman, so that her children come out, but there is no harm, the one who hit her shall surely be fined, as the woman’s husband shall impose on him, and he shall pay as the judges determine. But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. (Exodus 21:22–25, ESV)
The short version is that the key word of the passage is sometimes not translated well and says “miscarriage” instead of “children come out.” It you study the original Hebrew it becomes very clear that Moses did not mean that if the child is killed that the penalty is less severe.
More here, with a listing of all the errors pro-aborts make with this passage.
2.. Another one of the texts pro-aborts refer to is Numbers 5. They butcher it as badly as they butcher unwanted children. That passage doesn’t even say the woman was pregnant, yet pro-aborts use it to rationalize abortion! It shows how desperate they are — as if they actually cared about what the Book of Numbers said.
You are welcome to show me in the Book of Numbers where it says the woman is pregnant (not there). Then you could show where she has an abortion (not there). Then you could show where God taking a life means that we can also take lives in the another fashion for any reason, including those of our own children (not there).
See this for more —
3. Oh, and don’t forget the “Jesus never said anything about abortion, so He approves of child-killing in the womb!” argument. The argument that Jesus never said anything about abortion (or homosexual behavior, etc.) fails on many levels. If a church leader uses it you can be confident that he or she is ignorant and/or malicious. Short version: Yes, He did say something about it, but the theological Left ignores or distorts it as they do with many things about Jesus and his teachings.
- Arguing from silence is a logical fallacy.
- Jesus is God and part of the Trinity that inspired all scripture.
- Note how Jesus defeats Darwinian evolution, oxymoronic “same-sex marriage” and same-sex parenting arguments in one simple passage. No true follower of him should disagree on any of those topics. Matthew 19:4–5 He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?”
- He supported the Old Testament law to the last letter.
- The “red letters” weren’t silent on these topics in the sense that they reiterated what marriage and murder were.
- He emphasized many other important issues that these Leftist theologians completely ignore (Hell, his divinity, his exclusivity, etc.).
- He was equally “silent” on issues that these folks treat as having the utmost importance (capital punishment, war, welfare, universal health care, taxpayer-funded abortions, etc.).
- He didn’t specifically mention rape, child abuse, pedophilia, bestiality and other obvious sins though that wouldn’t justify them.
- Abortion and homosexual behavior simply weren’t hot topics for 1st century Jews. They actually thought children were a blessing and they had laws against homosexual behavior.
- And the Gospels never claimed to include everything He said. John specifically notes that the whole world couldn’t hold it all! (John 21:25).
- And Jesus never said anything about the “sin” of criticizing abortion or homosexual behavior, so it must be OK!
4. And of course, use the “God said that life begins at the first breath so Jesus is OK with abortion” nonsense of the “Christian” Left. The “Christian” Left is far more extreme in their pro-abortion agenda than the average pro-choice person. They insist that life begins at the first breath and insist that Jesus is fine with killing unwanted children until that point. I realize how ridiculous their views sound and how many people must think I’m making a straw-man argument. But that is just because their own words are so clear and extreme: “According to the bible, a fetus is not a living person with a soul until after drawing its first breath.” More here about how to respond, with full, in-context quotes from them.
That is the sad state of not only the “Christian” Left, who uses all those arguments, but of the secular Left that is full of low information voters.