The “Christian” Left likes to refer to their churches as “affirming.” It is typical Orwellian talk coming from those who use the words “equality” and “love” with the same precision that the Supreme Court uses for “states.”
The Bible directly addresses those who affirm sinful behavior.
First, the background. Here is the state of non-believers:
Romans 1:18–20 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
Ouch! That’s going to leave a mark.
Then the Holy Spirit and Paul search for an example of that rebellion. There are countless grievous sins against God, but here is the Exhibit A that they just “happened” to use:
Romans 1:26–27 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.
Pretty clear, eh? But the “Christian” Left relies on people’s willful ignorance of the scriptures and twists that passage all sorts of different ways.
- They say it was about male / boy relationships, though the text says men and men.
- They say it was about temple prostitutes, though the text doesn’t mention temple prostitutes, temples or prostitutes. Oh, and there were no lesbian temple prostitutes.
- They say the “real” sin is acting outside of your own “nature,” but that ignores that the Greek refers to the natural functions of the genders, not some fictional “born that way” “orientation.” And if their version was true, then this prime example would apply to absolutely no one! Think about it: If the only real sin was acting outside your natural desires, then everyone could just defend themselves to God by saying they did what they wanted to do. Which is exactly the problem! Lesbians would say their nature was to have sex with women, bisexuals would say it was to have sex with both genders, etc.
- They say that Paul didn’t know about “committed, loving” same-sex relationships. But that cheats on several levels. It assumes that the Holy Spirit wasn’t involved in the writing (that’s an ejector-seat argument for the “Christian” Left on most issues). And it assumes the behavior isn’t sinful instead of proving it. Their question-begging ignores that if the behavior is sinful then it could never be loving. Finally, even without that double fail, they have zero evidence to support that Paul didn’t know of any of the relationships they have in mind.
So after that bullet-proof indictment of homosexual behavior, we get this. Note where God addresses the “affirming” churches.
Romans 1:28–32 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
The “Christian” Left thinks they are being loving by affirming sinful behavior, but they are only loving themselves and their popularity with the world. If you really love people tempted by same-sex attractions you won’t grandstand on their sins just because they aren’t temptations to you, but you will share the truth with them.
Bonus: The Bible couldn’t be more clear. Bible-believing Christians and even two out of the three types of pro-gay people* (religious or not) can see these truths:
– 100% of the verses addressing homosexual behavior describe it as sin in the clearest and strongest possible terms.
– 100% of the verses referring to God’s ideal for marriage involve one man and one woman.
– 100% of the verses referencing parenting involve moms and dads with unique roles (or at least a set of male and female parents guiding the children).
– 0% of 31,173 Bible verses refer to homosexual behavior in a positive or even benign way or even hint at the acceptability of homosexual unions of any kind. There are no exceptions for “committed” relationships.
– 0% of 31,173 Bible verses refer to LGBT couples parenting children.
Having said that, I believe that Christians should support and encourage those who are fighting same-sex attraction. And no one needs to grandstand on the issue before getting to the Good News of the cross:
* The three general types of pro-gay theology people:
1. “The Bible says homosexuality is wrong but it isn’t the word of God.” (Obviously non-Christians)
2. “The Bible says it is wrong but God changed his mind and is only telling the theological Left.” (Only about 10 things wrong with that.)
3. “The Bible is the word of God but you are just misunderstanding it” (Uh, no, not really.)
3 thoughts on “About those “affirming” churches . . .”
i affirm this article.
Sent from my iPhone
The “Affirming churches” certainly don’t affirm Christ. And that’s why they are not Christian.