We spent a few hours in the Dubai airport a couple years ago on our way to and from Kenya, but didn’t go out into the city. It was a huge and wildly busy airport 24 hours a day. Even from the airport windows the city looked beautiful. I assumed it was as restrictive about Christianity as other Muslim nations, but apparently not. Via Dubai: Amazing and Strategic City – Desiring God.
Proselytizing is against the law in the UAE. But what that means in essence is: You can’t pay someone to convert (as if that were possible) or unduly coerce them to change religions. But speaking the gospel of Jesus Christ abounds.
There are many Christian churches, and the ruler of the emirate is favorable to them for the sake of the expatriates. Only about 13% of Dubai’s local population is local Emirati people. The other 87% are expatriates, half of whom are of Indian descent. Thousands of these are Christians.
Therefore, the gospel sounds forth weekly in Dubai. And on the university campuses, there are organizations that aggressively seek to speak to students about what the Bible really teaches.
That is the best possible definition of proselytizing. By definition, authentic Christian faith can’t be bought or coerced. I hope and pray that this situation lasts and that the Gospel spreads from there to the rest of the region.