About those gas prices . . .

This is not that complicated.

1. The relatively modest increases in the past were considered fair game for Democrats to use against Republicans, so why are they pulling up the drawbridge now and claiming it is just political to expect the President to be able to influence it?

2. More importantly, Obama kept his promise to raise gas prices.  Don’t let people forget that. The Greens want higher fuel prices, and they are getting them.

Via Right Klik: Mission Accomplished:

3. There are at least 10 Ways Obama Could Reduce Gasoline Prices Now.  You can’t drill today and have oil tomorrow, but policy changes have a remarkably quick impact on oil prices.  OPEC knows what short attention spans people have.  If they lower prices temporarily everyone will move to some other topic that the DNC-orchestrated mainstream media tells them to (e.g., “the Republicans want to take away your birth control!!).  That keeps us from making wise strategic moves and keeps us dependent on foreign oil and those who set the prices.

Via Stop the ACLU:

6 thoughts on “About those gas prices . . .”

1. I like how every time someone on the Right does propose more drilling, someone on the Left is quick to point out how “there wouldn’t be any oil from that drilling for ten years.” It is a classic talking point. I always have the same responses to that:

– Let’s say your’re right. Isn’t that one more reason to get started TODAY instead of waiting any longer to expand domestic drilling?
    – Whenever the US even TALKS about expanding domestic drilling, OPEC and other foreign exporters immediately increase production. It has happened before.
    – The proposal to open ANWR to drilling was first made back in 1995. Clinton vetoed the idea. Had he not, I’d be filling my car with gas made from ANWR oil right now.
    – I doubt it will actually take ten years anyway. Sure, it takes a couple of years to get the permits, get the drilling equipment and infrastructure into position, get the drillers moved up there, yes. But ten years to pump out, refine, and ship some oil where we’ve already got a pretty good idea where the deposits are? Nah.

1. Excellent points. Coulter had a funny bit suggesting that we pay people to actually think a little bit into the future to make wise decisions about things like this (i.e., Congress should do its job!).

2. Since you had another thread on your Facebook conversation on abortion, I thought I’d share a FB thread of my own on gas prices:

Jessica: Wow, makes me so glad I don’t live in Cali. I looked at the price today and it was $3.05

Dave: ‎$4.98 per gallon on the island of Guam
    Tuesday at 10:46pm · Like

Erik: It wasn’t that low in 2009. I don’t even remember when it was that low.
    Tuesday at 10:54pm · Like

Toni: Definitely was not that low. I didn’t get my sports car in 2008 because gas prices were at about $4.50 for regular gas, and my sports car had to have premium. Some of these people are just hallucinating because they are so prejudice.
    Tuesday at 11:08pm · Like · 1

Dave: According to consumer reports average gas price for regular in Sept 2009 in the us was 2.58 in California 3.15
    Tuesday at 11:09pm · Like

Toni: I bought my car in February 2008, opting for the smaller engine Altima because of the high gas prices that were in the $4.00 range. According to Dave Owen’s post, looks like the prices actually went down after Obama.
    Tuesday at 11:15pm · Like

Dave: acc. to http://news.consumerreports.org/ average gas prices on January 26, 2009 were: US $1.84 and California $2.10
    Tuesday at 11:28pm · Like

Me: Naturally, not a word from Obama’s defenders about him killing the Keystone Pipeline project, imposing a moratorium on Gulf of Mexico drilling permits, or refusing to allow additional drilling in ANWR. Not a word about him and his Sec of Energy both calling for higher energy prices back in 2008. I love how high gas prices were “Bush’s fault” in 2005 and 2008, but not Obama’s fault in 2012. No, this year, putting the blame where it belongs is called “prejudice.” Just keep telling yourselves that.

Dave: http://gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx This chart shows gas prices (Natl. avg. around $3.43. That persons figures considerable off.
    18 hours ago · Like

Corey: Hmmm…I can’t remember gas prices that low in the last 10 years. They are not making a very good case for themselves…
    16 hours ago · Like

Melody: Regardless of national average, it’s over $4 a gallon (I filled up this a.m.) in northern Calif and it’s nearly $5 a gallon on Guam, an American territory. Who knows? May be over $5 now!! I think the 2009 figure is low though; I recall it was closer to $2.30 then; still, that’s nearly doubled in 3 years. Harsh!
    15 hours ago · Like

Melody: I just looked it up: It was (national average) $1.85 per gallon when Obama took office – isn’t the Internet grand???
    15 hours ago · Like

Dave: Any President can do little to control the price of gasoline short of opening the Strategic Reserves or pealing back Federal fuel taxes. Gas pricing is more of a free market phenomenon. Speculators move fuel pricing too. There ya go free market folks.
    14 hours ago · Like · 1

Dave: Melody post that link.
    14 hours ago · Like

Toni: Not an Obama defender, but right is right. Problems started way before Obama. Dave Ramos’ statement is correct. Gas prices will probably go down again right before the elections as was the case in 2008. I doubt they will ever go below $3.00 again in my lifetime.
    14 hours ago · Like

Me: No, you’re both incorrect. Mentioning the Strategic Petroleum Reserve is an implicit admission that adding more oil to the market means lower prices. (By the way, the SPR is for use only in times of dire national emergency; tapping it at any other time is reckless.) The president can do plenty, and Bush tried. He attempted to get ANWR opened in order to expand domestic driling, and the Democrats in the Senate wouldn’t allow it. I have already told you about some specific things Obama has done to make gas more expensive – he blocked the pipeline, he blocked Gulf drilling permits, and he won’t even propose ANWR drilling as his predecessor did.

Me: Oh, and Toni – I don’t care if you see yourself as an “Obama defender” or not. You accused his critics of “prejudice.” That is something that Obama defenders say…and they say it so that they don’t have to deal with the opposition’s arguments. It is weak and beyond tiresome in 2012.

Me: Dave – as a “free market folk,” I’m happy to explain to you that more supply = lower prices. That’s Econ 101.

Frank: However, not the case at all here. We have so much supply, we’re actually exporting refined gasoline. This is the result of unregulated market speculators… period. That’s MARKET Econ 101.
    11 hours ago · Like

Me: I looked into this, Frank, and it’s true, we’re exporting gas. But if speculation were the problem, the bubble would eventually burst, just like with the tech companies and the housing market. It wouldn’t keep going up, up, up like it’s been doing over the past several years. The problem is rising demand for fuel – both domestically and in foreign countries, especially China, India, and Brazil. Putting more supply on the market forces prices down. I have no idea why no fewer than three people on this thread, cannot seem to grasp something this simple.

Toni: Now Matt, nothing personal here. I have problems with all politicians. So in that respect I guess I am also prejudice. Bottom line, the mess that was created wasn’t created over night and it won’t get fixed overnight. With policitics being what they are, things may never be right. We have had the technology to do away with oil consuming vehicles for over twenty years. North Dakota is crawling with oil companies bumping oil out of the ground as we speak. Pennsylvania has more natural gas reserves than we could ever use in a lifetime, and the gas companies are crawling over that region just like North Dakota. Funny how the monthly gas bill didn’t go down.

Me: Most telling of all is that according to many, it was all Bush’s fault when gas got high in 2005 and 2008. He was trying to enrich his oil buddies, we were told. Now that the White House is occupied by the other party, however, suddenly it’s, “There’s really not much the president can do about gas prices.” Bush tried to do something about them and was thwarted by the Senate; Obama has not only utterly failed to do anything, he’s actively worked to push prices higher by refusing to allow any additional drilling. I’m sorry to tell you that speculation does not trump supply and demand; no investor is going to be betting against them in the first place.

Me: Domestic oil production has risen in the last few years, Toni, but that’s been despite the federal government’s efforts, not because of them. The additional drilling has taken place on state and private lands and it hasn’t been enough additional supply to make much of a dent in the problem. Oil and gas do go down in price from time to time; ask yourself if that was because the companies providing them suddenly got less greedy, or if it had more to do with market conditions.

Frank: Generally, you’re correct Matt. This time though it is market commodity speculation. Speculators buying oil futures at outrageous prices, then the gas suppliers pass those high prices on to us. Obama gets the blame for what greedy Wall St.speculators are doing…to us again. Now ya gotta admit, Bush and the oil business go hand in hand.

Frank: That’s the reason additional drilling doesn’t make a dent. ALL oil goes on the “world market”… That’s why Canadian XL pipeline oil will do us zero good. It will all go on the World Market.
    5 hours ago · Like

Me: I don’t “gotta admit” any such thing. Over half of American households now own stock, mostly in the form of a managed portfolio of some kind, and those portfolios in turn are owned by ordinary people. The previous president having worked in the oil business at one time hasn’t got anything to do with it.

Me: Yeah, that pipeline isn’t going to be delivering oil through the US where we could have used it and gotten some of those jobs in our country – and you can thank Obama for killing the project, remember? Gosh, it feels like I have to keep repeating myself.

Me: I like how it wasn’t “market commodity speculation” in 2008 but it apparently is now. Back then it was “Bush and the oil companies.” Now it’s “market speculators.”

Frank: I do thank Obama for killing the pipeline. Let’s see, The Canadians get all the profit, and we get a handful of temporary jobs plus immense potential for an oil spill disaster. And we still pay sky high gas prices… Yeah, that would be a good deal.

Toni: That’s right Matt. The oil spill in the gulf cost people in a big way, not only in lost jobs, a lost eco system, but also higher gas prices. Common sense tells me most people were for shutting down the wells in the gulf under those circumstances. People were killed and everyone was pointing their fingers at each other. Both the government and non-government politicians pointing their fingers instead stopping the buck and taking care of business.
    2 hours ago · Like

Me: Toni you are aware, I take it, that the Deepwater Horizon incident can be blamed on the fact that the drilling was being done in water a mile deep (something at the bleeding edge of technology, even today)…because US government policies prevented safer drilling in shallower water? I’m really not interested in what your “common sense” tells you. I’m interested in the facts. Had those policies not been in place, that would not have happened. Even if you dispute that, the fact remains that oil accidents do happen from time to time; they are simply a fact of life in a world that is dependent on oil, which we indisputably are. I would also point out to you that such incidents are far more common in the Nigeria Delta and other parts of the world where the drillers do not have access to the safeguards and technology available to US drillers…which means accidents and environmental damage is even more common. But the Left does not care about oil spills in Nigeria, do they?

Me: ‎@Frank: You’re thanking Obama for killing “temporary” jobs (uh, no…the pipeline was going to be permanent and always need maintenance), for stopping a source of oil flowing into the US from Canada (so we can continue to import it from our enemies instead, who will use the revenue to fund terrorism), which was going to be implemented with proven technology? (The Trans-Alaska pipeline has been in operation for nearly forty years with zero accidents.) Which would have increased the domestic supply of oil, which would have driven down prices regardless of what speculators do. (Speculators are nothing more than investors who want to buy low and sell high. They follow price shocks rather than causing them.) Great thinking there.

Me: Instead, Canada will sell all that oil to China, so it can continue channeling extra fuel to its military, which is conducting training exercises and modernization upgrades as we speak. Worst of all is the reason Obama killed the pipeline – not because he was worried about an accident. His friend Warren Buffett (remember him, the guy who wants us all to pay more in taxes) just happens to own a fleet of railroad cars that are used to transport oil. Follow the money.

Toni: OMG Matt, I’m a centrist. I am because I can see both sides, digest the facts, and make my own decisions based upon the information provided. When you say “but the Left does not care about oil spills in Nigeria, do they? That tells me it really wouldn’t matter what the facts are because the right will always be right. REALLY? Are you trying to say the right would be more caring about Nigeria than the left? We all the know the answer to that. And we have the ability to not be dependent on oil, have had that ability for over 20 years, but still we are talking the same talk we’ve always been talking. Right/Left doesn’t matter. It’s all dirty politics.
    about an hour ago · Like

Me: Let’s recap, Toni. You told me you think that Obama’s critics are “prejudiced.” That’s a hallmark of the Left…(all of whom seem to think they’re ‘centrist’, by the way) but that’s neither here nor there, is it? Now, you’re quick to tell me that you believe people of a rightward persuasion are poorer stewards of the environment than the Left is (another common liberal canard). What does matter is that with more domestic drilling, there’s less demand for drilling in places without access to safer drilling technologies…which means fewer spills overall. What I’m trying to get across to you is that domestic drilling not only makes economic sense, it’s actually better for the environment than is the current setup, with the US importing nearly 60% of its oil from abroad, much of it from countries with a terrible record on protecting the environment from oil spills.

This thread illustrates why I can’t stand the Left. Besides being thickheaded, they’re dishonest.

1. Here’s the tail end of it:

Thanks, Neil. Here’s the tail end of it:
        —————

Me: (the graphic at the top of this thread showing Obama)

Frank: Matt > I’m not going further in this debate with you when you blurt out things like “I’m not interested in common sense”, etc. That is so true. And then you go on to insist the XL pipeline oil would guaranteed be sold to the US and not go on the world market and have not any effect at all on where we get our oil. And then to disavow the proven conclusions that the Gulf Oil disaster was caused by corporate incompetence. Wow dude, you are in your own world and I bid you adieu.

Me: What I said was that I wasn’t interested in Toni’s speculations; what interested me was the facts. As for the other two assertions made in your most recent post, both are completely groundless and you haven’t attempted to back them up. Big surprise. As far as common sense goes, I tried to explain to you (and to Toni, and to Dave) that increasing supply decreases prices. The supply and demand curve is the first thing a high school econ student learns. If you still don’t get it by this point, you’re far beyond my help.

Me: I’ll bet you didn’t click on the graphic I provided, either. It might challenge your preconceived notions about high oil prices being the fault of greedy speculators and oil companies playing with the prices. Can’t have the facts getting in the way of a good narrative, can we?

2. Toni Pacheco I’m with you Mr. Casanova. I’m done with this conversation. Waste Toni: I’m with you Mr. Casanova. I’m done with this conversation. Waste of my time. Ta Ta Huffmaster.of my time. Ta Ta.

Me: It’s OK, Toni. (Though you sure spent a lot of time on a “waste of time”…interesting.) I’ve about had enough of you and your friends’ denial of reality anyway. To me it’s beyond question that a big pipeline full of oil flowing through the middle of the US would definitely have an impact on “where we get our oil” (and therefore supply, and therefore prices). But your rush to excuse our president from any responsibility in the matter of gas prices (interestingly, his hands supposedly being ties is the lead story in my local paper today)…you twist yourselves into pretzels. It’s not his fault that he’s thwarted every effort to bring more oil to market, is it? It’s not his fault that he put shallow-water oil reserves off-limits, necessitating the drilling in mile-deep water, leading to predictable results. No…it must be the result of a big conspiracy by oil company stockholders and investors in oil futures. I also was amused by the way you kept moving the goalposts. Your logic is inconsistent and your thinking uninformed.