See Leonard Pitts’ attempt to broad-brush conservatives as the reigning liars in our political scene. His lead argument: A misstatement made by Sen. Kyle that was corrected the same day (I’m not defending Kyle, just analyzing Pitts’ larger theme, his lame defense of Planned Parenthood and his sloppy journalism).
Let’s examine some of his points and also consider the things Pitts leaves out of his analysis. I realize columnists can only include so much information, but these would obviously not fit in with his theme. And either he is a woefully uninformed journalist or highly deceptive.
- Why does Pitts list cancer screenings as the first item Planned Parenthood provides, especially while omitting that their CEO falsely claimed that Planned Parenthood provides mammograms and that a loss of Federal funding would end these.? Note that some politicians repeated this lie. How many CEOs don’t know what services their organization provides? Was this incompetence or a deliberate lie about a highly emotional, most-favored-disease issue to sustain public funding for her organization? Why hasn’t she or the mainstream media, such as Pitts, highlighted and corrected this error?
- If abortion only accounts for 3% of Planned Parenthood’s services, why don’t they stop them or get rid of them? I mean, if such a tiny part of their business is causing all this fuss, there are some very simple solutions.
- Does Pitts not know that while abortions themselves are only counted as 3%, many of the 97% of the other services are associated with the abortions? It is an accounting game to minimize the portion of abortions.
- Why didn’t Pitts note that 97% of pregnant women who go inside Planned Parenthood come out not pregnant?
- Planned Parenthood has been caught countless times, both on audio and on video, hiding statutory rape. That alone should result in them being not only being de-funded but put out of business. Businesses who commit serial felonies don’t get to point to other (alleged) good things they do to avoid responsibility. They have been caught many times hiding sex trafficking, which includes victims of human trafficking.
- Margaret Sanger, PP’s founder, was a racist eugenicist.
- Planned Parenthood targets minorities and is the largest provider of abortions in the U.S. Abortion rates for blacks are 3x that of whites and the rate for HIspanics is 2x that of whites. Margaret’s dream lives on. But in Pitts’ mind, he thinks conservatives are the racists.
- Pitts used Sarah Palin’s “death panels” line as an example of lying, but she has been proved right. Of course, they aren’t called death panels, but that was never her claim.
- Too bad Pitts didn’t read Things Planned Parenthood’s ‘Truth Team’ Forgot to Mention with more facts about PP (Hat tip: John)
- Will Pitts’ next column be about why Democrats are much more likely to be tax cheats? He’d have more facts for that.