It is hard to believe that false teacher Chuck “Jesus is not the only way” Currie could cram this many fallacies into one little post, yet here we are. In one of his seemingly never-ending perversions of scripture, he insists that Jesus’ command to love your neighbor as yourself requires state-sanctioned endorsement of un-biblical sexual preferences.
Faith leaders from across are showing their support for freedom to marry, in large part because of the simple message that we all should strive to treat others as we would wish to be treated.
1. “Faith leaders” is code for false teachers — those who teach the opposite of the Bible and are so homophobic that they have a greater fear of being unpopular with the gay lobby than they do with the God they claim to worship. Chuck uses this word game reflexively, where he implies that just because more than one “religious” person is for something that they are a majority or have biblical support for their position.
2. People already have “freedom to marry” anyone they like — of the opposite sex — because that’s what marriage was and is. Opposite sex couples, by nature and design, produce the next generation, and only they can provide a mother and a father to a child.
And even those freedoms have some restrictions, such as age and the “one per customer” requirement (though Chuck’s position implicitly supports polygamy).
3. The golden rule obviously has limitations. If I wanted others to be able to use heroin just because I want to use heroin that wouldn’t be a reasoned use of the term.
4. It ignores the consequences of providing civil rights for sexual preferences: The harm done to small children who will now be taught how “normal” homosexual, bisexual, transgender and whatever-comes-next behavior is, business owners forced to abandon their religious principles, adoption agencies closing, etc.
“As a minister in the United Church of Christ, I preach about God’s extravagant welcome… that God excludes no one and welcomes all.
Yes, that is what his “church” teaches. As usual, he twists words. Real Christianity really is open to all — all those who repent and trust in Jesus, that is. But it is exclusive in that you must come to God on his terms. Chuck’s false church gets it backwards, teaching that everyone gets in whether they want to or not, or that all religions are equally valid paths to God.
As parents, Liz and I want our daughters to honor the golden rule – that timeless truth that we should treat others as we wish to be treated – and for us that includes making sure gay and lesbian couples have the right to marry and raise a family just as we have. We dream of a day when all are equal before the law.”
5. Chuck’s wife is an atheist, by the way. Apparently evangelism isn’t his strong suit. Chuck takes his 6 yr. old daughters to gay pride parades. You’d think that at least his wife would have the sense to prevent that.
6. Gays and lesbians, by nature and design, cannot create a family.
7. Chuck falsely states that gays and lesbians can’t marry, as if the law says they can’t go to any number of apostate churches, like his, and get married. But he isn’t asking for that, he is asking for government recognition of these unions. His church’s #1 appeal seems to be seeking Federal recognition of the fraction of a fraction of these folks who want this government recognition (i.e., the few who want to get married out of the 2-3% who are gay/lesbian).
8. Chuck ignores bisexuals. Why is he so bigoted and hateful?
9. As noted before, they are equal under the law. They can marry someone of the opposite sex.
10. Hey, I wonder if Chuck & Co. will take their “golden rule” sermons to the Middle East? If they think the U.S. culture is so unloving, they’ll really have some harsh words for Muslims.
Don’t be fooled by sound bites, folks. The truth sounds like hate to those that hate the truth. If you really love people, including LGBTQ folks and those impacted by these laws, then you’ll have all of their long term best interests at heart. You won’t put your comfort and popularity above the truth.
Don’t be a coward on this issue. Don’t let false teachers steal and distort the “golden rule” or anything else from the Bible. Stand up for the truth and for what God really says.