These books contain history about the Israelites. Here are some major themes / portions:
- Solomon becomes king after David dies. He chooses wisely at first and is given incredible wisdom. But he makes poor choices after that and suffers the consequences.
- Solomon builds the temple in Jerusalem. David wanted to build it but he had too much blood on his hands.
- Solomon dies and his son chooses foolishly, which quickly divides Israel into the Northern and Southern kingdoms. It starts a trend of mostly awful kings, with a few good ones mixed in.
- We are introduced to the ministries of the prophets Elijah and Elisha
- The northern kingdom, Israel, is exiled to Assyria. They sinned so greatly and for so long that God punished them severely.
- The southern kingdom, Judah, thinks it has escaped judgment, but it too is eventually exiled to Babylon.
There are many important stories and lessons in these books of history. You’ll be surprised at how many literary references you’ll be familiar with – Solomon, splitting the baby, Ahab/Jezebel, the miracles of Elijah and Elisha, the Queen of Sheba, and many more.