What is the purpose of this blog? The idea is for everyone to get into God’s Word on a regular basis. I have talked with a couple of you around the country about doing an on-line Bible study and thought the blog format would work well. I also thought it would be a good exercise for me to work through once a week. I always learn the most when I am summarizing or teaching something.
I plan to post here at least once per week. I’ll pick 1-3 chapters and just write about what stuck out to me. It won’t be an exhaustive analysis. Feel free to add your own comments or just read along.
Click here for some Bible study tips. Regardless of how much you know about the Bible, you can get a lot out of it by reading as little as a chapter and following a few simple steps (I picked these up from a sermon by James MacDonald):
- What portion stands out to you? Why? (Don’t just focus on what you don’t understand. Think about the things you do understand.)
- Is there an example for me to follow or a duty to perform?
- Is there an error for me to avoid?
- Is there a promise for me to claim?
- Is there a sin for me to confess?
- Plan it – make a plan for how you will use it
- Pray it – pray scripture back to God
- Share it – it will help others and help you to remember it
General guidelines for comments: No mean stuff. No elitist stuff. Feel free to ask questions, offer opinions, etc. Write all you want, but keep in mind that most people prefer to read shorter posts. You get bonus points for being pithy.
The first reading I’ll post on is James chapter 1.
Come back soon!